This is funny. DP you hit the mark. Every time I compose my post I can’t help not to use any punctuations. For me, punctuations deliver my emotions to a reader. This is my list which starts from my most favorite to the least (note: not according to the importance):
- (…) – I don’t even know what to call this. I used this if I want to say something more and at the same time I am trying to hold it back. If you can only see my draft, you will say that I BELONG to this postaday topic, BY-THE-DOTS. Almost all of my sentences usually ends with (…).
- (!!!) – This is my second favorite. This is for conveying an extreme emotions. I usually used this when commenting. I’m just stopping myself to add (!!!) so I just put (!).
- Comma – Well, this is important, right? Connecting a compound sentences, to separate items, to separate series of actions or elements, etc.
We also use this to address the intended subject. Like “How are you(,) World?” For me, this is my most used punctuation because I just need to use it.
- Period – Of course, how am I going to end my sentence if not for the ( . )?
- ? or ??? – If I need to ask a question and if I’m confused, respectively.
- ?! – I used this if I am so angry and demanding an answer at the same time.
Whether we like them or not, they are important. They add more meaning to our sentences. We used them to convey an appropriate expression of emotions. They are useful clutters. An added decorations to our compositions, as well. Since they are free, let’s enjoy and use them appropriately.